Sunday, June 25, 2017

Mornington Peninsula - Victoria


This year I hit a milestone Birthday and was determined to not let it pass without doing SOMETHING special.

So I packed everyone into the car and headed for the Mornington Peninsula.


Our first stop was at the Arthur's Seat Chairlift.
There has been a Chairlift at Arthur's Seat since 1960 and after years of problems and accidents it was finally replaced in 2016 with a new European style all weather Gondola system.

Although as a child, I spent many weekends holidaying at Dromana, I have never ridden the lift (sitting on a seat swinging in the breeze was not my 'thing' even way back then). So when I heard it was being upgraded I couldn't wait to check it out.

The verdict - not nearly as terrifying as the Cairns/Kuranda Skyrail.
And one day - I will get to ride one of these things when it is not raining!


Next stop was the township of Flinders - it sits on the 'other side' of the Peninsula where Western Port Bay meets Bass Strait.

The township has certainly changed since I was there last and afternoon tea was a delight at Mornington Peninsula Chocolates.


There was one last place I wanted to visit before we headed home.

I do love lighthouses!

To me they symbolise safety and protection and steadfastness.
And remind me of all my favourite childhood Sunday School songs.

This one is at Cape Schanck and has been faithfully protecting all those who pass by her since 1859.



I did fully intend to be well on the way home before dark but, time got away from us and. . .
- well - 

What a perfect way
 to finish the day!







No comments:

Post a Comment